As of January 1, 2016, the Ontario Ombudsman can take complaints about the province’s publicly-funded universities.

Anyone with an unresolved concern about a university including students, faculty, or special interest groups can contact the Ombudsman by using the online complaint form here. Complaints can also be filed by phone (1-800-263-1830), or email info@ombudsman.on.ca.

What kinds of issues can the Ombudsman help with?

The Ombudsman can review complaints about the administrative actions and decisions of universities. The Ombudsman is an office of last resort. This means that you should try to address your issue through any available complaint or appeal mechanisms before contacting our Office.

The Ombudsman may be able to help with issues such as concerns about financial aid, admissions processes, academic appeals or student services.

The Ombudsman Act states that the Ombudsman shall consider the application of the principles of academic freedom when considering a complaint about a university.

For the Public

For University Staff