Common Referrals

Where to complain if:

  • Your issue is outside of the Ombudsman’s jurisdiction
  • You have not yet exhausted other avenues of complaint

The Ombudsman oversees more than 1,000 public sector bodies in Ontario, and is an office of last resort. We can only deal with complaints about bodies that are within our jurisdiction, after existing complaint mechanisms have been tried.

Are you complaining about a body that is within the Ombudsman’s jurisdiction? Check to see if it is on our "Who We Oversee" list.

The organizations listed on this page – by topic – might be able to help you before you come to the Ombudsman, or if your complaint is about something we don’t oversee, such as private sector or federal government bodies. We regularly refer people to these organizations.

If you are still not sure where to turn, contact us and our staff will do their best to help.

Canada Post (Federal)

Canada Post Ombudsman

Correctional Facilities (Federal)

Office of the Correctional Investigator

For complaints about Ontario correctional facilities, contact us.



Energy Companies (Private)

Ontario Energy Board

Highway 407- ETR

ETR Dispute Resolution

Hospitals and Long-Term Care Facilities

Long-Term Care Action Line
Ontario Patient Ombudsman

Hydro One

Hydro One Ombudsman

For complaints about municipally-owned hydro companies, contact us.

Passports (Federal)

Passport Canada

Service Canada (Federal)

Office for Client Satisfaction

Taxes / Canada Revenue Agency (Federal)

Office of the Taxpayers’ Ombudsman

Toronto, City of

Ombudsman Toronto

Veterans’ Issues (Federal)

Veterans Ombudsman