Who We Oversee

Who We Oversee

The Ombudsman’s Office oversees and investigates more than 1,000 provincial government and broader public sector bodies, such as provincial ministries, Crown corporations, tribunals, agencies, boards and commissions, and municipalities, universities, and school boards.

The Ombudsman CANNOT investigate hospitals and long-term care homes; those are overseen by the Patient Ombudsman, along with Community Care Access Centres. (The Ontario Ombudsman oversees the Patient Ombudsman, who is employed by Health Quality Ontario.)

The Ombudsman also has no jurisdiction over private companies or individuals, doctors, lawyers, local police, decisions of judges or courts, the Ontario Cabinet, or the federal government.​

If you have a complaint about a closed municipal meeting, see who the closed meeting investigator is in that municipality. If you believe you were treated unfairly, see the administrative tribunals for more information on how to file a formal complaint.

If you can’t find an organization or aren’t sure whether your complaint is within the Ombudsman’s jurisdiction, please call 1-800-263-1830 or email info@ombudsman.on.ca and we will be happy to assist you.

Browse alphabetical listings

Parcourir la liste alphabétique