The Ombudsman is looking for a tech-minded communications and social media expert who’s connected, keen and thinks differently. Does this sound like you?
· Live and breathe social media
· Are conversant in English, French and HTML
· Have excellent writing, editing and webmastering skills
· Consider #onpoli a major news source
· Manage and monitor digital communities for work and fun
· Have a passion for open government and public service
· Can translate a complex idea into 140 characters in 60 seconds or less
· Have a background in digital communications, journalism and/or government
· Know how to build something good into something great
· Are always looking for new ways to reach the public
· Built the world’s first Ombudsman following on social media
· Handle hundreds of news media requests per year
· Produce print products, videos, photos, web and mobile sites, speeches and slide presentations – all in English and French, and almost all in-house
· Keep our followers, stakeholders and staff informed and connected
· Network with and train ombudsmen and other watchdogs across the globe
· Work in a progressive, fast-paced, and all Apple environment
This is a one-year term position with the potential to become permanent. The position reports to the Communications Director and is managed by the Assistant Manager, Communications.
The main areas of responsibility for Communications Officers are maintaining the Ombudsman’s website, intranet and social media presence, monitoring news and social media, producing communications materials (print, digital, video), and supporting outreach activities (speeches, public events) in English and French.
This position will:
· Have particular responsibility for monitoring, analyzing and generating content for social media, the website and mobile site, and digital communications
· Act as the Ombudsman’s eyes and ears in the digital space, flagging comments and complaints
· Serve as an internal resource for Ombudsman staff in social media and Internet use
· Identify and provide creative ways to engage and encourage followers
Applicants must have:
· A post-secondary degree in communications, journalism or a related field
· At least three years’ work experience that includes working with websites, digital communications, social media/community management as well as traditional communications/media relations
· Knowledge of major social media platforms, website management and UX, and analytics tools
· Strong communications skills and the ability to multitask
HOW TO APPLY:
Please include a cover letter with your résumé, describing:
· What makes you a great digital communications specialist
· Your competency in French
· Your specific experience/achievements in digital communications
· Any particular tech skills that set you apart
Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
All applicants must be received by end of day on August 1, 2014 at 5:00 pm.
Please Note: Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Moving expenses will not be paid. This is a unionized position. New hires will be paid at the starting rate of $62,971/year.